Finally Celcom has revealed its iPhone 6 & 6 Plus plan nearly 30 hours prior to official launch of iPhone 6 & 6 Plus in Malaysia. To refresh you, Maxis was the first telco revealed its plan followed by DiGi, and both of them are taking pre-order since 30th October. And a comparison post to compare DiGi vs Maxis was published few days ago.
As we promised, comparison for all 3 telcos (Celcom, DiGi & Maxis) is brought to you here. 🙂 However, you might curious why iPhone 6 Plus is not present in the comparison chart. Regardless iPhone 6 or 6 Plus being used for comparison, actually both results did not affect the general point of view, so for shorter post, I pick only iPhone 6 as example.
Since Celcom is the last mobile operator to reveal its iPhone 6/6 Plus offer, logically they should be the best offer telco, because they have extra time for their actuaries & marketing team to design a better strategy. But will Celcom really beat DiGi & Maxis? Let’s check the comparison chart below:
Compare the Introductory Plan of Celcom, DiGi & Maxis
|Plan||Prime||iDiGi 50||iValue Simple|
|Monthly Fee||RM 78||RM 50||RM 50|
|Calls to All Networks||266 units||50 minutes||200 minutes|
|SMS to Own Network||200 SMS||100 SMS|
|SMS to Other Networks||–|
|Mobile Internet||2.05 GB||2 GB||1 GB|
|Exceed Quota Charges|
|Call to Own Network||RM 0.15/minute||RM 0.15/minute||RM 0.12/minute|
|Call to Other Networks||RM 0.20/minute|
|SMS to Own Network||RM 0.15/SMS||RM 0.10/SMS||RM 0.05/SMS|
|SMS to Other Networks||RM 0.15/SMS|
|Exceed Quota||Block||Speed Throttle|
|12 Months Contract Total Cost*|
|16 GB||RM 2,814||RM 2,765||RM 2,849|
|64 GB||RM 3,154||RM 3,100||RM 3,179|
|128 GB||RM 3,494||RM 3,435||RM 3,519|
*Exclude the advance deposit and stamp duty (RM10). Advance deposit was not included because it will be refund in your first month bill as well, so it would not affect the total cost.
Celcom vs DiGi vs Maxis
– DiGi has the lowest total 12 months owning cost, however it offer the least call minute and the sms only to its own network, which is not very attractive.
– If we excluded DiGi, and in this situation – Celcom vs Maxis, If your call destination across all networks, call > sms and rarely send out sms, then Celcom would be your best choice, provided coverage are almost similar. Besides that, Maxis only give 1 GB data, which might not sufficient in this new era.
– In overall, I’ll pick Celcom > DiGi > Maxis.
– However, in the following situation, DiGi > Celcom > Maxis:
- MNP to other telco, then MNP back to DiGi, enjoy 100 minutes and 100 SMS to all networks, sum up will get 150 minutes to all networks, which consider worth than the current iDiGi 50 for existing DiGi subscribers.